Building a Retrosheet Database for the 2016 Season, Part 2

Hi, folks. Below you will find Part 2 of our video series involving building a Retrosheet database. If you haven’t, make sure to check out Part 1 before digging into this.

*The video explains this, but you’ll need to re-download the files from our GitHub page. I found a couple of small errors there. No harm done, just make sure you have the updated files before continuing. The video explains how to do this.

Enjoy! Let me know in the comments or on Twitter if you have any questions or problems.

We hoped you liked reading Building a Retrosheet Database for the 2016 Season, Part 2 by David G. Temple!

Please support FanGraphs by becoming a member. We publish thousands of articles a year, host multiple podcasts, and have an ever growing database of baseball stats.

FanGraphs does not have a paywall. With your membership, we can continue to offer the content you've come to rely on and add to our unique baseball coverage.

Support FanGraphs




David G. Temple is the Managing Editor of TechGraphs and a contributor to FanGraphs, NotGraphs and The Hardball Times. He hosts the award-eligible podcast Stealing Home. Dayn Perry once called him a "Bible Made of Lasers." Follow him on Twitter @davidgtemple.

newest oldest most voted
Brian SD
Guest
Brian SD

Unless I missed something, I don’t think you showed us how to set up SQLyog (you never actually opened it in the first video). I tried creating my own connection and naming it “retrosheet”, but when I went to execute SQL script, I got an error message. Everything else has worked fine so far.

bturnl1
Guest
bturnl1

For those having issues when running the “retrosheet table schema.sql” script, there is a comma that needs to be added to lines 351 and 537(the two longest lines in the file). If you scroll to the end of each of those two lines, a comma needs to be added after the second to last “ENGINE = MyISAM”. The end of those two lines should look like this: “ENGINE = MyISAM, PARTITION p66 VALUES IN (2015) ENGINE = MyISAM) */;”. After making the modifications, it worked like a charm.

Brian SD
Guest
Brian SD

Yes, that worked!